Tuesday 23 August 2011

Poetry Double Bill Review

Wow….what can I say.. Nothing as eloquent as Bronwym Lovell or as hard hitting as Daran Peter Parker but somehow I am going to try and sum this kaleidoscope scope of words and emotions into a bite sized nugget for y’all to digest. Sitting in the chilly Mudclub birds-nest I needed warming, so got about firing myself up for my Friday nights entertainment with the special Mudfest punch in a dinky candy coloured welly (which makes one feel somewhat perverted, I’m not sure why….) however, although alcohol is well known for getting the cockles toasty, it was the Bronwym soft gentle voce and the beautiful words that did the trick. Bronwym Lovell put on quite a show involving sound effects and moving animations unique to each of her poem. She dazzled the crowd starting with a poem about her gift to the audience through words and emotions, and her gift was well received with all eyes focused and breaths held back. Bronwyms poems were delivered in a flowing and ebbing rhythm that matched the subject matter and over all tone of the experience; that of a journey through her life using her astute and often comical observations. Although very personal to Bronwym, each poem relayed sentiments and feelings that I for one could certainly relate to. This soft but deep experience was sharply contacted by act number two! Daran Peter Parker careered onto the stage and punched the punch out my welly and got going on my ears! Daran communicated to the audience like we were all old friends propping up the bar together and he had some serious sh** to get off his chest! I feel I can swear here as a reflection on his work as he used these forbidden words like they were going to pass their sell by date soon! This political and biting second half was a mightily interesting contrast to the first and got me alert and thinking to face the weekend. A thought provoking and inspiring few hours, I thank ya both!

This review is by flo devereux!

No comments:

Post a Comment